Học tiếng Việt miễn phí với người Sài Gòn.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Ask me

How do you call someone whose age you have no idea at all?

Ms. Mariann Elias: Chào em. What I wanted to ask last Saturday is that how do you call someone whose age you have no idea at all. How do you start a conversation of that person. But you don't know if he is 'em' or 'anh', or she is 'bà' or 'bác?


In this case, we - native speakers, have to guess first.
we will guest how old they are
If you guess she is at your age (or younger a bit, or older a bit), then you should call yourself "Em"
and call her "Chị"
She doesn't know your age, then she will call you "Chị" and call herself "Em"


The best way is to ask: Không biết phải xưng hô như thế nào ạ! (Which means Don't know how to address/call)

When you say that, they will, maybe, tell you their age, and their names


Sometimes I called some guys "Anh" because I felt they were older than me.
Then later on I knew they were younger than me. All just because I looked younger than them. haha :)

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a store and I am interested in a collaboration. For more Office@Shop-Box.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tommy! Ive been using your videos and website to learn Vietnamese, and I was wondering if you could help me write a love letter in Vietnamese as a gift to my girlfriend on our one year anniversary? It would be amazing if I could express how I feel about her in Vietnamese. Please let me know if this anyway possible. Thanks Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tommy
    With the lessons I buy, do you send me the audio files to put on an MP3?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do my friend and I donate to your charity? Can I call you directly?

    ReplyDelete

Followers