Học tiếng Việt miễn phí với người Sài Gòn.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The very useful word "Thôi"


1/ The word “Thôi” is very useful, and can be translated as “And not a bit more”. It often comes at the end of a phrase to create emphasis.

Tôi chỉ nói được tiếng Anh thôi
I speak English and nothing else / I only speak English

Tôi chỉ muốn ăn phở thôi
I want to eat only Phở (I don’t want to eat other things)

Thôi, em hãy về nhà đi. Mọi chuyện sẽ ổn thôi.
You should/Just go home. Everything will be ok. (That’s all. Don’t worry…)


2/ “Thôi” can be used to ask someone to stop doing something, and to do other things

Thôi, 10 giờ tối rồi. Không chơi game nữa. Đi ngủ thôi
It’s 10pm now. Stop playing game, and go to bed.

3/ “Thôi” or  “Thôi nha” can be used to ask someone to stop doing something which makes you feel annoyed

Thôi nha. Tao bực mình với mày lắm rồi đó
 Hey, stop (teasing me). I’m so annoyed with you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers